At Scenic Biotech, we aim to identify genetic modifiers of rare diseases and leverage these as drug targets. Scenic is looking for a scientist who can spearhead the in vitro and in vivo validation and characterization of the identified modifier genes. You are responsible for the conception, design and the day-to-day execution of these projects. You are able to set and plan according to timelines and to achieve milestones and predetermined deliverables. You will spend most time planning, executing, analyzing and reporting on experiments.
3. Associate Scientist to head target validation efforts
Responsibilities and abilities
• Independently plan and execute a defined research project;
• You generate scientific data through performing wet-lab experiments and leveraging Contract Research Organizations (CROs);
• Independently able to iterate through hypotheses generation on biological mechanisms, experimental design to (dis)-prove these and analyze results in larger biological context;
• You maintain contact with CROs and monitor and manage their work;
• Function as the internal subject matter expert on the disease/research area(s) that you are working on, pro-actively seeking, collating and archiving relevant information;
• You process literature efficiently to rapidly gain expertise in relevant disease-related processes;
• Generate regular reports on project progress and regularly present at internal science meetings;
• You develop and evaluate novel disease models and/or assays for target validation.
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in medical biology, biology or a similar field and with 3+ years postdoctoral experience in a biomedical research environment;
• Experience with in vivo models, preferably in the rare or metabolic diseases field;
• Broad understanding of cellular disease mechanisms;
• Advanced knowledge and research expertise in lysosomal, mitochondrial, or other metabolic disorders is an advantage;
• Proven record of scientific creativity, the ability to come up with new ideas and look beyond the limitation of whatever field previously worked in;
• Experience in Biotech/Pharma or related commercial environment is an advantage;
• Experience with the management of collaborations or outsourcing of research activities;
• Strong academic track record exemplified by high-impact publications in a relevant field.
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting your own targets;
• Able to work and thrive in a dynamic environment;
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with great command of English, both written and spoken. Dutch not required;
• Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards;
• Excellent time management skills;
• Ability to develop a clear work plan and deal with uncertainty and pressure;
• Affinity to work in a small start-up.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company, and attention for personal development.
Are you our new team member?
If this vacancy is the perfect next step in your career, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org attn. Carola Jongerius (HR Manager) or click on ‘Jump in’! Please mention the number of this vacancy (no.3) in your application.
Applications without cover letter will not be processed.